Monday 17 March 2014

Claire & Mae

Mae blouse





While i'm hard at work getting everything prepared for the upcoming Winifred
 sew-along, starting the 24th - Next Monday! Yay! I thought it would be a refreshing to have a little bit of sewing inspiration to get you/me  in the sewing mood.

Introducing Claire from her blog I want to be a turtle and her two amazing Mae blouses she has sewn up, one for work and one for play.

As usual i love finding more out about your sewing journeys with the patterns, and after seeing Claire's first Mae blouse i wanted to know more and i thought you would too! 

Take it away Claire:


What type of fabric did you use? What inspired your choice of fabric?

I used quilting cotton from my local haberdashery shop. It was an impulse buy – I was drawn to the intricate white flowers which work so well with the gorgeous blue. As I walked out of the shop I knew what it would become.

Did your Mae blouse live up to the image you had in your mind?

Yes. I was originally drawn to the elegant neckline, kimono sleeves and the buttons at the back. I really wanted the neckline to look smooth and well fitted and it does, despite what the photos show!

The Green Mae


How did you decide to reflect your personal style in the pattern?

I made the Mae with the office in mind. I love simple but elegant styles and want to reflect this in what I wear to work. I’m also a big fan of colour, particularly blue it turns out, and needed something to liven up the dark trousers and skirts I so often wear.


Mae blouse


Tell us a bit about your making process, any tweaks you made?

The blouse is a dream to make, the construction is simple and I knocked this up a few hours. Luckily I tested the fit by making a couple of muslins and I’m pleased I did as I had to add a lot to the back bodice and remove a little length. I finished the facings and seams with bias binding for a bit of added detail on the inside.  

What thoughts do you have about the project?

I love this pattern. This was my first time making an item with scallops and thought they would be tricky to sew. Turns out they aren’t so difficult and I loved your tutorial on getting perfect curves – it really works! I have a general dislike of facings as they tend to get caught easily or pop up above the seam line, but I love these ones. I had no problem adding them and they lie perfectly, probably because they are a little wider than I normally see.

Mae blouse


Are you planning any future Mae blouses?


Definitely! I’m already looking for the fabric for the next one. I love that you can wear the blouse with trousers or tucked into a skirt and it looks great both ways. 


The Green Mae



Thanks Claire! And make sure you all take the time to check out Claire's blog I want to be a turtle for more drool worthy sewing inspiration.

If you have sewn up something amazing from the patterns, then get in touch and share it or upload to the Flickr group!



Abby
x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for the visit and leaving a comment!
I totally appreciate them all!

Happy sewing!

Abby
x

© Bluegingerdoll - Vintage inspired sewing patterns, sewing tips and tricks | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig